Topband: OT: Studying the ionosphere using RBN
Robert McGwier
2016-05-24 21:59:19 UTC
During the eclipse next year we will undertake a ham radio based study of
the Ionosphere using RBN.

http://hamsci.org/article/hamsci-eclipse-team-meets-dayton

73s
N4HY
--
Bob McGwier
Founder, Federated Wireless, Inc
Guy Olinger K2AV
2016-05-26 00:24:03 UTC
This sounds really interesting. Should be able to ramp up a mob of activity
for that. 160 up through VHF. Be very interesting to see if edge of eclipse
is a propagation enhancer.

Too bad eclipse isn't ten days later on Field Day. That would be a flood of
data for free.

We'll start talking this one up. Reserving a vacation day to operate.

Also may need a module in N1MM to match the science questions and rules.
Jim
2016-05-30 19:46:24 UTC
Why waste time and energy with RBN stuff. We have the tool that does 90% of the work for us an no one uses it because it is digital. WHISPER is the perfect tool. If everyone would put their SSB transmitter a WHISPER frequency for 24 yrs before and after the eclipse we would have more data than anyone could ever want. Then all you have to do is download the data and start crunching with a computer program or manually... whichever is your to your liking. If this were done over the entire world you could filter out what you didnt want or even see how the propagation on the other side of the planet was during the eclipse.

If you have not looked at this program... it was written by Nobel Laureate ( Physics ) Joe Taylor K1JT here is the web site:
http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wspr.html

Jim

Message: 1

Dave Blaschke, w5un

Robert McGwier

Hardy Landskov
2016-05-30 20:31:37 UTC
Should be 24 hrs--right?
N7RT

Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 20:24:03 -0400
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <***@gmail.com>
To: Robert McGwier <***@gmail.com>
Cc: "***@contesting. com" <***@contesting.com>

(K4KDJ) Director of AMSAT _________________ Topband Reflector Archives
- http://www.contesting.com/_topband
_________________

_________________
W7RH
2016-06-18 00:26:14 UTC
I found the discussion listed by N4HY to be an interesting read.

In 1979 thee was a total solar eclipse of the Western US which occurred
several hours after sunrise. The solar display was incredible and radio
propagation was very much so enhanced on 160 with openings to East Coast
of the US and mid-West.

Bob,

W7RH
--
W7RH DM35OS

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

N***@comcast.net
2016-06-18 03:24:38 UTC
I went to tHel PNW to view this total solar eclipse. Found a place about 1 hour east of Portland, Ore a few miles south of the Columbia River Gorge with low horizons with clear skies, a rare event. At sunrise birds started singing and 10M opened to the east coast. As the eclipse started to occur causing sunset (it was maybed out 8:30 to 9:00 AM PST, the birds stopped singing, the 10M opening to the eASeAST COAST WENT AWAY

Arne N7KA