Topband: low inv-vee
Carl Luetzelschwab
2018-03-27 18:49:33 UTC
Pete N4ZR said one option was to "Suspend inverted vees for 80 and 40 from
the top of the rocket launcher (right under the tribander)."

Gene AD3F commented on low inv-vees: "From what I've read on Topband and
TowerTalk over the years, a low Vee as you're proposing is likely to be a
cloud warmer."

Yes, a low inv-vee will radiate more energy at the higher elevation angles.
But it still radiates energy at the lower elevation angles that are useful
for longer distance contacts. For example, a 160-Meter inv-vee at an apex
of 45 feet is about 10 dB down (approx 2 S-units) at an elevation angle of
15 degrees compared to a quarter-wave vertical over average ground.

For the CQ 160M CW contest in January 2017, I used a 160-Meter inv-vee at
45 feet, with the last third of each end running horizontal and bent 90
degrees from the main portion to fit on our property. Yes, it's a
compromise antenna, but I worked 44 states (missed ME, ID, NE, AK), 7
Canadian provinces and 17 DXCC entities (mostly Carib, Central Amer and
South Amer, with some EU and a North Africa). My amp at 800 Watts certainly
helped, along with a Shared Apex Loop array for receive.

I wasn't first in most pile-ups, but perseverance got the job done most of
the time. So don't count out a low inv-vee if you have trouble putting up
something better. The inv-vee is relatively easy to erect and it's
efficient in terms of not needing a ground system. Of course an 80-Meter
inv-vee at 45 feet will be better than a 160-Meter inv-vee at 45 feet, as
it's twice as high in terms of wavelengths.

Carl K9LA
_________________
Brian Campbell
2018-03-27 19:26:41 UTC
I put up a 1/2 wave Inverted V ( each leg is about 140' ) for 160M in January of this year just so I could do inband SO2R in the CQ160 CW contest. It has its apex at 40' and the ends are at 5'. I would have been very happy to just work any East coast stations during the contest but I found that I was being called by stations from as far away as California down into the Caribbean and everything in between.

This morning I worked Luke ( VK3HJ ) on my Inverted L here at 1110z ( SR-5 min ) and we exchanged Q5 reports - nothing unusual. Then at SR he disappeared into the noise. Again nothing unusual. After a java refill I came back into the shack and could hear NA stations calling and working him but he was still NIL - not even a single ping could be heard on the Inverted L. Just for fun I switched over to the Inverted V and there he was 539 to 549 - a real booming signal almost as loud as when we worked earlier when I gave him a 559 on the Inverted L. Now it was SR+28 min so when there was no one coming back to his CQ's I called and I almost fell out of my chair when he came back to me. No we didn't make the QSO as he didn't get my full call but the fact that he heard anything is amazing. Had I been running more than 100 watts I have no doubt we could have finished the QSO.

So the Inverted V definitely stays up.

Carl I am a believer :-)

73,

Brian

VE3MGY

________________________________

Wes Stewart
2018-03-27 20:45:09 UTC
My first 67 entities worked on 160 were with an inverted-vee with apex at about
45 feet and the ends about 5 feet high.  Actually a few were with the antenna
cut for 80 and using a tuner.  I couldn't even run full power (500W) with that
configuration.

Wes  N7WS

_________________
Topband Reflector Archives - http://www.contesting.co
Kenneth Grimm
2018-03-27 21:11:36 UTC
There are antennas and there are better antennas. We use what we have and
always dream of something better.

73,

Ken - K4XL

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 4:45 PM, Wes Stewart <***@triconet.org> wrote:

> My first 67 entities worked on 160 were with an inverted-vee with apex at
> about 45 feet and the ends about 5 feet high. Actually a few were with the
> antenna cut for 80 and using a tuner. I couldn't even run full power
> (500W) with that configuration.
>
> Wes N7WS
>

> On 3/27/2018 11:49 AM, Carl Luetzelschwab wrote:
>
>> Pete N4ZR said one option was to "Suspend inverted vees for 80 and 40 from
>> the top of the rocket launcher (right under the tribander)."
>>
>> Gene AD3F commented on low inv-vees: "From what I've read on Topband and
>> TowerTalk over the years, a low Vee as you're proposing is likely to be a
>> cloud warmer."
>>
>> Yes, a low inv-vee will radiate more energy at the higher elevation
>> angles.
>> But it still radiates energy at the lower elevation angles that are useful
>> for longer distance contacts. For example, a 160-Meter inv-vee at an apex
>> of 45 feet is about 10 dB down (approx 2 S-units) at an elevation angle of
>> 15 degrees compared to a quarter-wave vertical over average ground.
>>
>> For the CQ 160M CW contest in January 2017, I used a 160-Meter inv-vee at
>> 45 feet, with the last third of each end running horizontal and bent 90
>> degrees from the main portion to fit on our property. Yes, it's a
>> compromise antenna, but I worked 44 states (missed ME, ID, NE, AK), 7
>> Canadian provinces and 17 DXCC entities (mostly Carib, Central Amer and
>> South Amer, with some EU and a North Africa). My amp at 800 Watts
>> certainly
>> helped, along with a Shared Apex Loop array for receive.
>>
>> I wasn't first in most pile-ups, but perseverance got the job done most of
>> the time. So don't count out a low inv-vee if you have trouble putting up
>> something better. The inv-vee is relatively easy to erect and it's
>> efficient in terms of not needing a ground system. Of course an 80-Meter
>> inv-vee at 45 feet will be better than a 160-Meter inv-vee at 45 feet, as
>> it's twice as high in terms of wavelengths.
>>
>> Carl K9LA
>> _________________
>>

> _________________

Ken - K4XL
BoatAnchor Manual Archive
BAMA - http://bama.edebris.com
_________________
Mike Waters
2018-03-27 21:26:49 UTC
http://www.w0btu.com/160_meters.html :-)

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com

_________________
Brian Campbell
2018-03-28 20:42:58 UTC
"So are the others (Brian?) talking about a true coax-fed 160m
inverted-vee? If so, I'm interested!

Jeff VE3CV"

No, Jeff.

I feed it with ~320' of Ladderline to a 4:1 Balun and then around another 150' - 200' of RG213 to the shack.

I am on a hill here with sloping terrain to EU and most of NA ( as per HFTA analysis ) and it works gangbusters on all bands - even with LP - as I do not have an amp so I am stuck with 100 watts - which is enough or me :-)

However YMMV

Brian

VE3MGY

________________________________
2018-03-28 21:23:01 UTC
Well I've said it before and I'll doubtless say it again . . .

In my experience, most DX propagation on 160m ISN'T low angle (unlike 80m
when it nearly always IS.)

For the past 45 years, at several different QTHs I've always used a
horizontal co-ax fed halfwave dipole, only 50ft high . . . I'm sure most
people would agree I put a respectable DX signal. I've regularly worked all
over the world on Top band, and I've never had trouble getting through
pile-ups to work Dx-peditions.

Plus a dipole at 40 feet will never really be an inverted vee ! (just a
horizontal antenna with drooping ends) - You'd have to have the centre at
least 100ft high for it to be an inverted vee.

Roger G3YRO
_________________
Steve Maki
2018-03-29 01:03:38 UTC
Interesting. Some say that on 160 vertical polarization rules, while on
80, horizontal polarization rules (or at least *often* rules). Of course
polarization and angle of arrival are two different things...

-Steve K8LX

_________________
Richard (Rick) Karlquist
2018-03-29 01:24:55 UTC
One thing about an inverted vee on 160 that can
confusing: if you don't go to a lot of trouble to
have a really effective balun, you end up having
feedline radiation. In the case, you really have
an inverted L. This is related to articles written
about so called "loop skywires" where they say:
do NOT use a balun. That's because they are really
counting on the feedline to be the vertical radiator
on 160 meters and the loop is just top loading.

Therefore, low inverted vee "success stories" may
not mean what you think they mean.

Rick N6RK
_________________
Guy Olinger K2AV
2018-03-29 01:29:39 UTC
Amen. 73, Guy K2AV

_________________
HP
2018-03-29 05:37:04 UTC
I was going to stay out of this low inv vee antenna - probably should - but here goes.

The short remark is I believe N6RK comments are true - its a top loaded vertical
with a little inv vee thrown in .

The long story is below - read at your own riisk.

In about 9 years I am at 126 countries cfmed on 160 - have worked virtually everything I can hear
and of course thats the other shoe - living in a noise pit in Phoenix , AZ. . Highlight was working
FT5ZM one call on the third morning - I could hear him for about 3 minutes on the greyline .
Most guys around here would hear him for 30 min or so . Thats the anecdotal BS .

A few years ago I participated in a RBN test with 3 other guys - one was one element of the N5IA 8 circle
before the array was up , 126 foot tower with 64 radials , another was 90 foot 25 G top loaded shunt fed
and 130 radials full length , (that one was spotted in EU during the the test ) ,one was a full size vertical
above a 40 gfoot high feed point with 32 elevated sloping 132 feet radials - I dont have full details on the
other but it was a competitive single tower station. We all ran 1 kw input to the system , spaced by 1 khz
and sent cq for several minutes . The outcome was my antenna was down about 9 dB from a good antenna.
It was interesting and not totally unexpected however that close in at 100 to 500 miles or so I was down
far less and quite variable . I was blown away with a VK4 6 dB RBN return last August when I was experimenting .

N6RK I think has it nailed - at least certainly in my case. My antenna is an 80 meter inv vee with apex at 39
feet - runs NE/SW from SW corner of the house roof to a shed at NE corner of lot - just makes it .
Ends are about 9 feet high . It hangs from the side of 40 feet of 25G with ten feet of mast out top with a
KT34 at 42 feet and a 40M1L rotatable dipole at 50 feet I spaced the feedline to the inv vee out
about a foot from the tower .. The KT34 and 40M21L feedline and rotor lines are taped to legs inside the
tower. I have a reasonably fair EZNEC model that duplicates what I measure vs freq with a VNA2180
very close on 80 and by selecting a loss resistance for the half inch conductior simulating the coax shield
attached to the NE side of inv vee on 160 and the TL model for 42 feet of RG213 which comes down
to a remote antenna swutch about 5 feet up the tower . I have pretty good chokes on the rotor / antenna
swutch and common coax to shack but honestly once the coax is tied to the tower - those chokes make
very little difference. As Rich says however there is a HUGE difference in what I measure on 160
if I put a choke with 5 2.4 inch #31 core 6 passes before the inv vee feedline attaches to the switch .
And RBN testing although hard to be conclusive since it takes too long to make the change looks like the
antnenna is down about 3 to 4 dB because the curent in the vertical (coax shield) goes way down .

OK now what does EZNEC say is going on in the wires ?
At 1500 watts into the system , the current going into the SW side (which is connected to the inner
condutcor of the feedline is 3.83 amps at -15.5 degrees ) , the current into the SW side connected to the shield is
1.87 amps at -30.2 deg . The current in the tower is about 360 ma max and actually has a dip down to about
30 ma near the inv vee feedpoint . The current inwire 4 which represents the shield fo the coax tied to
the NE side of the inv vee is 6.44 amps at -22.3 degrees and at its base its 5.87 amps at -20.3 degrees
Ihave yto put 20 ohms loss resistance at thebotton m of that wire to get the measured resistance to agrees withmeasured -
the reactive part agrees very closely - j 37.23 measured versus - j 36.73 ohms - the 20 ohms loss resistance gets the real
parts to 5.82 measured vs 5.84 calculated. That does not give me any heartburn as the tower which is the real "ground"
only has a couple 8 foot ground rods driven in near the base and connected at base.

Some day I think I will hang a folded "counterpoise" or two at the switch and see if I can tell if I drive down the loss -
I also have the capability fo attaching "extenders " on each side to get a resonnce at about 1870 - its easier on the tuner
but not enough different to tell if its better or worse than just hanging 3000 pfd at shack wall onthe 80m inv vee and
doing a touch up tuning in the tuner Just works out handy

BTW I have worked 160 WAS in a weekend in contests and just started playing with FT8 seriously and have worked 41 states
in an about a month - had 3 more from last year for 44 so now as you would expect - need to finish up the
far NE ME/DE/NH/RI and NE and SD out here .

73 Hank K7HP

_________________
Wes Stewart
2018-03-29 04:38:21 UTC
Could be. An effective balun on 160 isn't trivial, but then the questions are at
least twofold. 1) How ineffective is it and what are the relative currents on
the intended radiator compared to the incidental radiator and 2)  what
constitutes the ground plane?  On my cactus patch I'm working my tail off to get
an effective ground plane laid down under my "real" inverted L.  I would be
saddened to know that 120 feet of Heliax laying on the ground from the antenna
to the shack would be all I need. :-)

Wes  N7WS

_________________
Topband Reflector Archives - http://www.contes
Mark K3MSB
2018-03-29 02:50:47 UTC
I don't think so. In my Electromagnetic Fields and Waves class in EE
school (way back when dinosaurs just stopped roaming the earth and
Constellations still graced the skies...) the prof derived the equation for
a received signal. The polarization terms disappeared after the first
ionospheric bounce.

73 Mark K3MSB

_________________
K4SAV
2018-03-29 14:11:36 UTC
If you run a NEC analysis it will show that a 160 dipole at a half
wavelength height will blow away any vertical when the signal is
broadside to the dipole. The people that have tried this say it aint
so. At least some of the reasons are that NEC knows nothing about 160
propagation and it knows nothing about the effect of Earth's electron
gyrofrequency. That varies a lot depending on where you are located on
this earth. Analysis is nice and easy but you have to include everything
for it to simulate the real world, and the real world on 160 is very
complicated.

Jerry, K4SAV

_________________
Guy Olinger K2AV
2018-03-29 19:09:56 UTC
Yes, the real world on 160 is very complicated, and by some issues that
seem, anyway, to be unknown to more hams than not.

W8JI had a 160 dipole up at 300 feet and ran over a year's worth of A/B
tests, concluding after all that data, that the dipole would never beat a
commercial-AM-BC-quality vertical and radial field, and only infrequently
would equal it.

160 behaves more like the broadcast band than not.

80 is the transition band to horizontal 40 and up. An 80 4 square is a
common and satisfactory solution to DX and contest operation, though not
the ultimate. 8 circle vertical arrays, and such things as catenary
supported wide spaced 80m four element wire yagis or tower supported two
element quads seem to be king of the hill, indicating a mix of vertical and
horizontal killer solutions. By 40m killer vertical solutions are gone.
People put up fixed wire yagi's on 40 that a 40m four square cannot touch.

Over in northern Europe there was for a while a full size mega-monster full
sized 3 element 160 horizontal yagi, where the two story house at the
bottom of the tower looked like a dog house in the picture. Interestingly,
I never saw rave reviews on that solution. It was so large that
parachutists would do base-jumping off the end of the boom. In the end,
regardless of the amazing engineering to get it up in the first place,
northern winter weather got it.

However one might explain it, or try and quantify it, on 160 meters it is
clear that generally and on average, **efficient** vertically polarized
antennas will beat the snot out of **efficient** horizontally polarized
antennas.

Whether one can manage some degree of QSO-making from a disadvantaged setup
has to be answered "yes". One only needs favorable propagation path loss
that can tolerate the degree of RF loss in the disadvantaged antenna
system.

With vertical polarization on 160, the answer always lies in discerning RF
loss in the antenna system, or proposed system, including effects of
environment. Cleaning out all the remediable RF loss issues in a system
will most likely render a strong performer. A simple mid-sized inverted L
on 160, **where all the RF loss issues have been cleaned up**, will put one
in the top 10% of transmitted signals, significantly exceeded only by
well-done multielement designs, or single element antennas at one of those
amazing locations.

A phenomenon in 160 contests, which I observe to this day, is that, at a
decent contest station, 90% of the strong signals will be worked in the
first third of the contest, often in the first several hundred contacts if
one starts S&P. After that there will be a handful of midwest and
east-of-the-Rockies QRP stations I hear, whose signal strengths EXCEED the
majority of the rest of the stations in the contest.

That leaves one with an inescapable observation, that half or more of 160
meter antenna systems in use are somehow brutally disadvantaged.

Even if one presumes that the huge percentage of mid-to-late contest QSO's
are only 100 watts, that still leaves one with the problem that the great
proportion of those 100 watt signals ARE DISADVANTAGED BY AT LEAST 13 dB RF
LOSS SOMEWHERE IN THEIR ANTENNA SYSTEM/ENVIRONMENT. They are being exceeded
by stations running QRP.

While vertical vs horizontal could account for some, there is a large
collection of anecdotal reports + RBN measurements from remediated stations
that show such a magnitude of loss is decidedly possible in a vertical
system.

In this discussion about horizontal vs vertical, one must make sure we pay
attention to the 1000 pound gorilla in the room: Remediable RF loss in the
antenna system and environs.

73, Guy K2AV
k2av.com

*--------------------------------*
*Lowering SWR does*
* not reliably predict*
* better performance.*

*A dummy load, *
* with its perfect SWR, *
* is a worse antenna *
* than a light bulb. *

*First discern and remove *
* RF loss in low band*
* antenna systems and*
* their environments.*
*----------------------------------*

_________________
Mike Waters
2018-03-29 21:31:37 UTC
This is as perfect an answer as any expert could come up with!!!! :-)

I've been a ham for over 42 years. But well before I was the
wet-behind-the-ears Novice-class WN8BTU, many experienced Topbanders have
found that *all especially successful 160m DX stations use vertical
polarization. That's just a fact.*

From http://www.w0btu.com/160_meters.html. Comments from W8JI himself.:

"Nearly all especially successful stations on 160 use a vertically
polarized antenna of some type for transmitting. That's just a fact."

"The fact is....... an Inverted L with 20 or more radials at least 50 feet
and hopefully 100 feet long will absolutely smoke any normal height loop
antenna or dipole antenna at nearly any distance on 160 meters. The
possible exception is between 20 and 200 miles."

"I have a full size 160 dipole at 300 feet, and it is never really much
better than a 1/4 wave vertical at any distance in any direction. As a
matter of fact, the dipole is 10-20 dB weaker than the vertical off the
dipole ends. The dipole only beats the vertical broadside to the dipole,
and then only rarely!! And this is with the dipole 300 feet above ground."

Some other profound comments by W8JI about "what is a good antenna" from
various online forums:

"Asking a group about the best antenna, or what works, is like asking a
group what kind of religion is good, or what kind of woman to pick. In a
large unrestricted group some would tell you Satanism is the best religion
and boys make the best wives. The same is true with antennas.

"I'd bet over 90% of Hams don't even really know how or why an antenna
works or how to tell if it works. Most opinions are really based only on if
the antenna makes contacts and accepts power. This is why so many antennas
are able to be sold with totally false claims, and it has been that way for
years. Claims that are utter nonsense are widely absorbed as fact by
significant cross sections of the population.

"Probably the single largest truth is almost ANY antenna will make someone
happy as can be, so long as it works any amount at all. People find
something they seem to like, if it is based on bad science or outright lies
they get into a herd of sheep who believe the same way, and you have a cult
following that reinforces each other in their beliefs no matter how
unsubstantiated or false they are."

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/best-option-for-an-antenna.291026/page-2

http://www.w0btu.com/160_meters.html

I sort of doubt that Tom (or other experts who have left this Reflector)
will be inclined to chime in here (which is fine), but his experiments and
experience are peerless.

My own meager experience has proved this.

Maybe the problem here is that we haven't defined DX. To me, DX is from my
QTH in SW Missouri to Africa, Asia, Oceania, etc.; and *not* just a few
hundred miles.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com

_________________
GEORGE WALLNER
2018-03-30 03:31:32 UTC
Guy,
Your's is about as complete an explanation as it gets. I only would like to
add one aspect (which is covered by the reference to antenna efficiency) but
is perhaps worth pointing out.
Opinions on vertical vs. horizontal on are strongly subject to one's
location. In the desert (AZ, etc.) it is very hard to make a vertical
efficient, and you will probably come to the conclusion that horizontal
polarization is the best. Near (or over) salt water, you are more likely to
come to the opposite conclusion.
It is not only the ground near the antenna (which you could somewhat remedy
with radials), but for up to a mile on TB! In my experience the difference
can be as much as 10 dB. That is a very different experience.
73,
George,
AA7JV

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 15:09:56 -0400

_________________
Brian Pease
2018-03-30 02:18:59 UTC
Just for fun, I modeled a 160m low inverted-V in NEC4.2, using 4NEC2 to
look at the patterns.  The apex was 15m up.  Each leg was 40.7m long
with the ends 7.5m up.  It was fed with 300 Ohm open wire dropping
vertically to 1m above the ground.  I fed it from a 300 Ohm source.
Directly under the antenna I created 36 radials 30m long in order to
compare 3 different configurations.  I used Sommerfeld standard ground.
All wire was #14 bare copper.
1) the balanced, ungrounded, inverted-V.
2) The same antenna, but with a 1m wire connecting one side of the
feedline to the ground plane to simulate a real unbalance.
3) The same antenna but with both sides of the feedline fed against the
ground plane as a "T".

As expected, the results support vertical radiators, and balance in the
inverted-V

                             Vertical radiation off the ends
_Antenna                 of the inv-V at 30 degrees el Radiation
Efficiency                 Comments_
1) Balanced inv-V -8.8dBi                                 7.03% Total
radiation pattern (H + V) is omni but with vertical nulls off the sides.
2) Unbalanced inv-V -11dBi                                  3.95% Total
radiation pattern is omni, low angle vertical is also omni.
3) Inv-V used as "T" +1.4dBi                                38.4% Peak
radiation at 30 degrees el, mostly vertical, -2.8dB nulls off the sides.

_________________
Topband Reflector Archives - ht
Wes Stewart
2018-03-29 04:11:40 UTC
We live in two countries separated by a common language.

In the states, we consider any wire in a "v" shape suspended upside down to
be...wait for it... an inverted vee, regardless of height as far as I know.

Are you suggesting that in Merrie Olde England there is a specified angle
between legs that define a "v"?

Wes  N7WS

_________________
Topband Reflector Archives - http://www.co
Larry
2018-03-29 09:19:13 UTC
I seem to recall reading that the "ideal" angle between the legs was 110
degrees. How that was derived or even if it is true I do not know.

I had a half sloper and converted to an inverted vee. I had done fairly
well with the half sloper and not too bad with the inverted vee but with
the inverted vee I would occasionally see cluster comments that I was
deaf from EU. Nothing scientific here. Plotting QSOs between the two
showed that the more distant QSOs were on the half sloper but that could
be propagation or other factors not specifically because of the antenna.
The half sloper was attached to a 100 foot  45G at about 66 feet and the
inverted vee apex was at 95 feet suspended out from the 45G. At the top
of the 45G was a KT36XA, 80M rotatable dipole, and a 2 el 40M yagi. The
two were not up at the same time so there is no true A/B comparison and
RBN wasn't around yet.

73, Larry W6NWS

_________________
Topband Reflector Archives - http://www.contesting.co
Peter Voelpel
2018-03-29 09:36:52 UTC
I never heard a dx station stronger or better on my 30m high dipole then on
the vertical, even not broadside to the dipole.
For that reason I don´t believe that dx signals on 160m are coming in at
high angles in opposite to all other bands, except perhaps sometimes during
grey line, then both antennas are equally good at medium distances.
And an inverted vee has no advantage against a dipole, just less gain.

73
Peter

_________________

_________________
Herbert Schoenbohm
2018-03-29 12:05:36 UTC
Roger, near your dawn your signal is very good here over the years on 160.
That is the time when low dipoles seem to really work well.

Herb, KV4FZ

_________________
Rob Atkinson
2018-03-30 17:47:57 UTC
1. You never use an inverted L or other vertical for receiving,
unless maybe, you are in a QTH so remote and noise free it might work.
But in-town, forget it.

2, From my experience, 7 or 8 out of 10 hams on 160 m., have poor
antennas, usually low horizontal wires. Most of these fellows are
casual operators who ragchew and are okay as long as they understand
the limits of their antennas.

Rob
K5UJ
_________________
Wes Stewart
2018-03-30 23:29:08 UTC
1)  I have yet to (and likely never will) install an RX only antenna.  Hence, I
receive on the same inverted-L I transmit on.  It's been my experience that I
still hear better than I get out with 500W.  Perhaps it is just operator skill
that makes it possible.  :-)

2)  "Poor" is rather subjective.  Compared to some fellow club members who run
NA7TB I have a poor antenna.  Compared to others with 40 foot verticals in deed
restricted locations, I have a great antenna.

Regardless, I completed working my TB DXCC this season, which was my goal.

Wes  N7WS

_________________
Topband Reflector Archives - http://www.contestin
Carl
2018-03-28 21:58:26 UTC
Some of my best, and easiest, 160 DX has been to the Antarctic area and
surrounding islands with a coax fed 160 inverted V with the apex at 60' and
the ends at 3'.

Apparently NVIS into a duct with little attenuation since it rarely took
more than a coupleof calls. Im also on a hill in the country here in NH.

Carl.

>I have always used an 80m inverted-vee (66.6 ft per side) with apex at 50ft
>at top of a yagi-free tower attached to a steel workshop and fed with 450
>ohm ladder line and shorted at the tuner in the shack to work as a top
>loaded vertical (35ft is actually vertical, rest of the feedline mostly
>hortizonal 3ft above a steel roof!
>
> Just worked JA8EAT with 100W on March 12 at 1040Z (thanks Yaz for LOTW
> confim and number 131 QSLd on topband...138 worked in 10 years). No 160m
> amp here....yet. Use 16 radials (100-130ft) and temporary winter 600ft
> Beverages and 200ft Bogs for RX. Helps being on a hill in the country as
> well. I always feel loud in the ARRL contests to the West Coast and KH6,
> but usually have to wait past 0300Z to work any EU even though I hear them
> at my sunset.
>
> So are the others (Brian?) talking about a true coax-fed 160m
> inverted-vee? If so, I'm interested!
>
> Jeff VE3CV
>

> On 3/28/2018 12:00 PM, topband-***@contesting.com wrote:
>> Message: 4
>> Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 19:26:41 +0000
>> From: Brian Campbell <***@hotmail.ca>
>> To: Carl Luetzelschwab <***@gmail.com>,
>> "***@contesting.com" <***@contesting.com>
>> Subject: Re: Topband: low inv-vee

>> I put up a 1/2 wave Inverted V ( each leg is about 140' ) for 160M in
>> January of this year just so I could do inband SO2R in the CQ160 CW
>> contest. It has its apex at 40' and the ends are at 5'. I would have been
>> very happy to just work any East coast stations during the contest but I
>> found that I was being called by stations from as far away as California
>> down into the Caribbean and everything in between.
>>

>> This morning I worked Luke ( VK3HJ ) on my Inverted L here at 1110z (
>> SR-5 min ) and we exchanged Q5 reports - nothing unusual. Then at SR he
>> disappeared into the noise. Again nothing unusual. After a java refill I
>> came back into the shack and could hear NA stations calling and working
>> him but he was still NIL - not even a single ping could be heard on the
>> Inverted L. Just for fun I switched over to the Inverted V and there he
>> was 539 to 549 - a real booming signal almost as loud as when we worked
>> earlier when I gave him a 559 on the Inverted L. Now it was SR+28 min so
>> when there was no one coming back to his CQ's I called and I almost fell
>> out of my chair when he came back to me. No we didn't make the QSO as he
>> didn't get my full call but the fact that he heard anything is amazing.
>> Had I been running more than 100 watts I have no doubt we could have
>> finished the QSO.
>>

>> So the Inverted V definitely stays up.
>>

>> Carl I am a believer :-)
>>

>> 73,