Topband: Wednesday 160m DX Activity Night
Roger Kennedy
2018-03-28 21:27:19 UTC
Well, I'm not sure if it has been poor conditions, or a just a lack of
activity . . .

But I've not heard many North American stations on the band lately.

Hopefully we'll have some activity tonight !

I'll be on as usual (about 1.828) from around 0000Z . . . there's usually
other Europeans on too.

Hope to see you on the band !

73 Roger G3YRO

_________________
VK3HJ
2018-03-28 23:08:34 UTC
Wednesday night was positively awful from VK3. I called CQ for nearly an
hour and gave up with no calls, and only local RBN reporting.

By contrast, Tuesday night was quite good to NA, with a number of USA and a
handful of Canadian stations, and one Japanese station calling!

73,

Luke VK3HJ

_________________
Brad Rehm
2018-03-29 01:23:05 UTC
Roger,

A big front went through central Texas today, leaving us with 20-40 dB over
S9 QRN. Parts of the area got 12 cm of rain, and the front extended all
the way up to VE3-land. As always, we needed the rain, but let's hope for
better condx next week.

73,
Brad KV5V

_________________
vk2wf

Topband Refle
VK3HJ
2018-03-29 07:57:37 UTC
Adrian,

You are about 600 km north of me. That is certainly a sufficient distance to make a difference. Steve VK7CW is about 550 km south of me.

I forgot to mention, Wednesday morning around 2030z I tried for Europe, and as per Wednesday evening, absolutely nothing in the log, nor any signals above the grass.

Let’s see if this evening is any good!

73,

Luke VK3HJ
_________________
Topband R
Adrian Van Der Byl
2018-03-29 23:00:08 UTC
Hi Steve

This evening (29 March) was much better, a number of RBN responses from AA4VV, VE7CC-7 and W4KKN.

It opened up around 10:45z. Thanks for the QSOs with VE3MGY, N0FW and N7UA.

73

Adrian VK2WF

Topband Reflector Archives - http://www.contesting.com/_
VK3HJ
2018-03-30 01:19:11 UTC
It must have been "your turn" again Adrian!

I worked DU7ET (more or less local), JA5BIN, and heard VE3MGY. N0FW reported
my signal as "loud". There are very few folks on lately, even with an open
band to many areas.

I only lit up the local RBN.

Finished with a QSO with Steve VK7CW, enjoying his very nice bug sending.

Our storm static generally subsides as we come away from Summer. I am active
year-round on Top Band. Most of my interesting DX is worked over Summer.

73,

Luke VK3HJ

2018-03-29 09:55:04 UTC
Well conditions seemed pretty good last night . . . my RBN reports were
certainly encouraging from several NA stations - one was even 49 dB over the
noise !

However, there was a distinct lack of activity - I stayed on from 0100Z for
nearly 2 hours, but only worked 9 NA stations.

Nothing like the dozens of stations that came on a few weeks ago when we
started these Wednesdays . . .

Come on guys !

73 Roger G3YRO

_________________
Hans Hjelmström
2018-03-29 10:22:11 UTC
Roger

They are all on FT8 more or less.
Then you do not need to hear the station you work, and you can even stay late in bed.
Computer fix all QSO,,,,, for you.
Unfortunately , this is killing our hobby, IF arrl is not making it a separate
award ,, for NO hearing QSO´+ s… BUT they do not care,,,,,,

Sorry to be so negative at Eastern,BUT I think this is the case.

Anyway have fun,what ever is remaining of our hobby.

Hans SM6CVX since 1961

_________________
Topband Reflector Archives - http://www.contesting.com
WT2P - CJ Johnson
2018-03-29 13:38:45 UTC
Some of us in the W9 area now have to start contending with spring
storms which raises the noise level considerably, and many folks are now
beginning to take down 160 RX stuff ahead of summer. It may be a
summertime lull, picking back up again in the fall....

wt2p

--
WT2P
http://www.wt2p.com

_________________
d***@iowatelecom.net
2018-03-29 14:26:34 UTC
As of yesterday, I have temporarily decommissioned my primary DX antennas
for TB (TX four square, Hi-Z 8 circle) due to the seasonal threat of
lightning. I will keep the quarter wave sloping vertical with elevated
radials, so I'm not off the air entirely. Everything will go back on line
early in the fall.

73. . .Dave, W0FLS

Brian Pease
2018-03-29 14:04:09 UTC
You were 579 in VT but you could not hear my 100W.

_________________
Mark K3MSB
2018-03-29 14:47:04 UTC
Rats. I was working on my Johnson Valiant last night and forgot it was 160
activity night.

I have maybe 2 to 3 more weeks before the BOG and RBOG antennas get taken
down as well as the INV-L radials get removed.

I keep one or two radials rolled up and connected during the summer so I
can temporarily unroll them as needed, but it’s rather difficult to work
into EU or AF with only that configuration.

REALLY hoping to work one of our VK friends before that…….

KH1 Is going to be interesting…….. I’ll probably scalp part of the lawn
and redeploy the RBOG and hope the SW direction works. Maybe add another
few radials for the INV-L.

Of course, I’ve been wanting to build a rotating loop for 160/80 and KH1
might be the excuse I need!

73 Mark K3MSB
_________________
David Olean
2018-03-29 15:31:24 UTC
Roger,

I was QRV for awhile, but seem to have attracted someone who hated my
guts. I was QRMed while trying to work stations. they put a carrier on
top of the stations I tried to work. They QRMed the dx station and were
sending false signal reports in hopes of confusing me.   Then they came
on and sent me disparaging remarks and called me a "bone head".  I went
QRT. I know I am not a great operator, and make mistakes, but who needs
that when you are trying to relax and have some innocent fun?   I am
starting to sour on the Gentlemen's band moniker. It was quite upsetting.

We had a fair amount of lightning static here, but conditions seemed
pretty fair otherwise.  You peaked up pretty loud at times.  I could
barely detect 4K6FO last night. He was good copy the night before.  I
did not hear any SA stations and I think they were QRV. Each nite is
different!

K1WHS

_________________
Topband Reflector Archives - http://www.contesting
David Olean
2018-03-29 16:41:40 UTC
I thought of that, Lee.  I think I was at least 1 kHz below wherever
TJ2TT showed up, and I asked if the freq was in use twice, before I
called CQ.  (I think they were spotted on 26 or 26.5 after I was on
making calls. I never heard them )  The obvious solution is to ask me to
QSY.   You don't start jamming me. (?) I really got confused and upset.

The static is getting quite pronounced some nights, although other nites
are quiet. I'll be around on 160 for awhile yet.  At least until I get
all the new coax chokes installed out in the woods near the beverages. I
have about a foot of ice and snow yet so finding the coax cables
underneath is a problem. My goal is to get common mode noise off all of
my rx antennas.  Then I go play on VHF and fly fish all summer.

73

Dave K1WHS

_________________
Topband Reflector Archives - http://www.contesting.com/_topban
Mike Waters
2018-03-29 18:14:53 UTC
VHF is fun, yes. But keep in mind that in the southern hemisphere it's
winter when we have our summer. And there are times in our summer when it's
quiet and we can work them on 160. :-)

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com

GEORGE WALLNER
2018-03-30 02:47:52 UTC
David,
I very much enjoyed our simple QSO last night. Ignore the idiots who are
reduced to being pests. They happen to turn up everywhere.

By the way, the QSO was very useful: I was testing the new 160 m antenna
that we will be taking to KH1. As you may know, the USFWS is limiting us to
verticals with a maximum height of 43 feet. That is not a lot for TB, but I
think I got a decent solution. (I worked a bunch Europeans a few weeks ago
with an earlier version using 700 W.) TKS for the good report! It was
encouraging.
73,
George,
AA7JV (C6AGU)

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 15:31:24 +0000

_________________
Topband Reflector Archives - http://www.contesting.co
Herbert Schoenbohm
2018-03-30 00:54:39 UTC
Roger, I heard you well on 1827 tonight but called for about 30 minutes and
just gave up. Your signal in the QRN was 369 most of the time, High
tropical QRN here.

_________________
Roger Kennedy
2018-04-03 22:34:57 UTC
Well the band is still open for DX between NA and Europe, as shown when I
come on and get some great reports from various RBN stations . . .

But do I have any real contacts? No ! Because I guess there is no
activity.

Those of you (like me) who complain that these FT8 stations are not having
REAL contacts ought to make the effort to come on the band and have some
proper DX QSOs !

There were quite a few Europeans on last Wednesday, and over the weekend,
all endlessly calling CQ DX but often with no replies.

I know the Summer is coming . . . but I'm sure we can keep these Wednesday
nights going for a few more weeks . . . so come on chaps!

I myself will be on tomorrow night from around 00.30Z (which I guess is East
coast sunset now)

73 Roger G3YRO

VK3HJ
2018-04-05 01:08:19 UTC
The past few evenings all I've been noticed by are RBN, apart from a few
die-hard Top Banders like AA1K, K4IQJ and DU7ET.

These are some of the blokes who don't let a few summer atmospherics deter
them.

73,

Luke VK3HJ